Long fullquotes

A forum for general discussions relating to the subject matter of stripping, pantsing, humiliating or being on the receiving end of any of the above. (Newly registered members can't make topics).
Lefanto

Long fullquotes

Post by Lefanto »

Am I the only one who finds it somewhat annoying to use fullquotes where the quote is very long (maybe consisting of a long chapter that is being quoted) while the actual comment itself is very small (sth. like "A good story!")?
Last edited by Lefanto on Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
edithdick

Re: Long fullquotes

Post by edithdick »

Lefanto wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:18 pm Am I the only one who finds it somewhat annoying to use fullquotes where the quote is very long (maybe consisting in a long chapter) while the actual comment itself is very small (sth. like "A good story!")?
No, you're not the only one. ;)
dublinjohn

Post by dublinjohn »

edithdick wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:27 pm
Lefanto wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:18 pm Am I the only one who finds it somewhat annoying to use fullquotes where the quote is very long (maybe consisting in a long chapter) while the actual comment itself is very small (sth. like "A good story!")?
No, you're not the only one. ;)
Agreed :D
tim409

Post by tim409 »

Lefanto wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:18 pm " while the actual comment itself is very small (sth. like "A good story!")?"
We can delete the section that is not relevant to the comment we want to makes....like above.
edithdick

Post by edithdick »

tim409 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:58 pm
Lefanto wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:18 pm " while the actual comment itself is very small (sth. like "A good story!")?"
We can delete the section that is not relevant to the comment we want to makes....like above.
Another one that is annoying is when they reply to someone who quoted someone else, and include both quotes... particularly when the first quote was not relevant to their response.
Lefanto

Post by Lefanto »

tim409 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:58 pm
Yes, and I personally think it would be great if more people would actually do this. At least when a "full quote" would be extremely long.
superevil7

Post by superevil7 »

Lefanto wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:57 am At least when a "full quote" would be extremely long
When quoting someone, you can also highlight just the test you want to quote, without quoting their full comment. This only works when clicking post reply first, and then quoting someone from below the text box, but it's a nice feature. It is what I tend to do when replying to the comments my stories have gotten, and it lets me reply to many different comments in one post.
PhilMarlowe

Post by PhilMarlowe »

superevil7 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:19 am When quoting someone, you can also highlight just the test you want to quote, without quoting their full comment.
That works very well.
Thank you
Lefanto

Post by Lefanto »

superevil7 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:19 am When quoting someone, you can also highlight just the test you want to quote, without quoting their full comment. This only works when clicking post reply first, and then quoting someone from below the text box, but it's a nice feature.
Indeed, thank you for this trick!
HumbledBareBoy

Netiquette 101? Or 201, perhaps?

Post by HumbledBareBoy »

Indeed, seems to me like the general topic of discussion here falls under the broader umbrella of "netiquette," a term which I think dates back to the late 1980s, and the more specific topic of "posting style" in e-mails, forums, etc. :) A couple resources you might find helpful for reference purposes: More generally, I agree strongly with most all the sentiments expressed in this thread, and from my own perspective, the issue boils down to three primary factors: (A) (Self) awareness, (B) skill and knowledge, and (C) diligence, with respect to various tricks and options. In fact, all of these derive from my practical real-life experience in my career, specifically teaching subject material under the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) umbrella on a university level, and inevitably I must often emphasize matters of style and formatting for practical readability/clarity purposes; since I'm dealing often with inexperienced beginners with little or no prior knowledge, this often entails calling out bad habits -- yet more importantly, demonstrating and promoting good habits instead, frequently unable to avoid a degree of pedantry, no matter my best intentions. 🤣 But, I digress...
Lefanto wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:18 pmAm I the only one who finds it somewhat annoying....?
The first factor I mentioned, "self-awareness," or just "awareness" in general, relates to the point above because some people are simply unaware of how annoying it can be, and it genuinely doesn't occur to them that readers could be averse or "put off" by such offenses as needlessly long quotes or excessive reply chains! Kind of like the "smelly guy" at the sci-fi or comic book convention, casually radiating B.O. about the premises yet completely oblivious to both his "olfactory terrorism" and the nasally-traumatized "collateral damage," if you will... :lol: ...these textual annoyances may not even "register" for some people, as genuine issues in need of improvement! Just think of those lengthy ongoing email conversations, replies to replies to replies, where text from MUCH earlier in the exchange is still there, but now pushed sooooo far to the right like:

Code: Select all

>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  Anyhow, take care HBB, talk to you l8r!
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  --Lefanto

>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  Esteemed Lefanto,
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  >  Greetings! For it is I, the very HBB himself, calling upon you now...
:shock: :mrgreen: You get the idea, though, I presume? Anyhow, once the "awareness" problem is resolved, people need to be shown a "better way" -- or even better yet, multiple better ways in the plural, opening them up to a range of options and possibilities to choose from; this is especially important because it allows flexibility and adaptability, making different choices in different contexts, depending on the particular situation or scenario.

FINALLY: The old adage says that "you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink" -- which is the point that "diligence" comes into play as a significant consideration; that is to say, the individual must personally have the motivation to take care about mindfully editing posts, especially making conscious decisions about which text to include vs. what can be excised, but also willing to put in the required time and effort. That motivation could be extrinsic, such as maintaining good will with their correspondents, and/or something more intrinsic like "taking pride in their work" -- at least on a "presentation" level! 💯
=====+++++=====
Before concluding this post, I will share my "snip trick" for the elision/omission of text for brevity's sake, excising some interim content while leaving behind that which I find most relevant. More particularly, in BBCode-based forums like this one, where I use the text such as below:

[b]<-[u]snip[/u]->[/b] 
Plus a couple examples of my applications in specific discussion threads...

[quote=Girlspns post_id=318 time=1573332471 user_id=2]However, there are times when particular stories of mine do excite me [b]<-[u]snip[/u]->[/b] And, of course, they have to be part of my best stories.[/quote]
(Source Post: viewtopic.php?p=24329#p24329)

[quote]and made Richmond take his shirt off. [b]<-[u]snip[/u]->[/b] Now Richmond wasn't a big tough athlete, far from it, but he was taller and heavier without being fat.  I'd say he was big boned and hefty...[/quote]
(Source Post: viewtopic.php?p=25389#p25389)
http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php ... ledBareBoy
https://puericil.netlify.app/fna/submissions (stories "by HumbledBareBoy")

(Story Themes: male-male + gay, spanking + corp. pun., bdsm, forced nudity + humiliation, family/domestic)